Bleeding from any part of gastrointestinal tract form mouth to anus is defined as gastrointestinal bleeding, Patient may be having bleeding from the mouth (fresh red or coffee colored altered blood) or in the stool. (which can be red, maroon, black).
Common causes of GI bleed are
Upper GI bleed
- Mallory Weiss tear
- Esophageal varices
- Esophageal ulcer
- Esophgageal cancer
- Hiatus hernia with Cameron ulcers
- Gastric ulcer
- Gastric cancer
- Gastric varix
- Gastritis or gastropathy
- Dieulafouy’s lesion
- Gastric antral vascular ectasic
- Duodenal ulcer
- Duodenal tumor
- Lower GI bleed
Anal canal sources (Bright red blood)
- Colonic ulcer- Infective or Inflammatory bowel disease
- Colonic polyp or cancer
- Diverticular bleed
Small intestinal source
- Tumor of small intestine
- Meckel’s diverticulum
- Ulcerations of small intestine
Management of GI bleed are
- Management of GI bleed depends upon magnitude and source of bleed, patients with significant bleed should be admitted and resuscitated with blood and plasma expander infusion. Patient with chronic and small amount of bleed can be investigated as out patient.
- Upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy are the initial investigations for the cause of bleed, if these investigations are normal, next line of investigations are CT enterography and CT angiography, capsule endoscopy and double balloon enteroscopy.
- Once the cause is established treatment depends upon cause of bleed and includes ligation for esophageal varices, clip and APC application for ulcers and vascular lesions, and surgery for malignancies
I have come across Dr Vikas post lots of research via internet,going through the various feedbacks& I hope my feedback will help anybody who is in dilemma in selecting right doctor.Without a doubt he is one of the top doctors in GI.
Dr Vikas is one of the wonderful,gentle&talented doctor I have come across,he provides the correct direction &also helps in clearing all the doubts/concerns. Moreover his attendent is also very helpful& will heIp you in all possible way.I am very pleased on the overall experience & highly recommend.Thanks doctor for you wonderful support in all ways.May God bless you more & keep on giving great service !!!
Dr Vikas Singla and team is a very good, nice and soft spoken today 22 Feb we attend a camp for full lever checkup very good service and well maintained every things we wish a very good luck to Dr Vikas Singla and team (Amit)
The best doctor i ever met. A very cordial person in nature and very talented doctor. He is a good person to talk and have advice. I was suffering from gastritis for last 2 years. I had consulted 2 to 3 doctors but did not see any sign of improvement. I almost lost my hope to get relief from this disorder. I thought this is something I will have to endure with. But doctor Singhla treated it very well with patience and now i am feeling much much better. Thanks DR. Vikas for treating my disorder.
I am at loss for words in describing Dr Singla’s dedication towards his patients. Last month my father was treated by him for gastric polyps. His forte lies in listening to the patients and putting across the problem in a comprehensive manner. He was also very prompt in diagnosing the problem and comping up with the solution which speaks for his experience and expertise in his field. By God’s grace and through his treatment my dad is recovering. I value his professional opinion and will forever remain grateful to him. He surely is the best Gastroenterology in North India.
Best and thorough The one who is incredible in doing hard and difficult procedures With smiling face and human touch Proud of U dear teacher.