Food Poisoning: Causes, Types, and Risk for
Food poisoning (Foodborne Illness) is an illness caused by contaminated food.
Organisms like Bacteria, Viruses, and Parasites are the most common causes of food poisoning
At least 250 different kinds of food poisoning have been documented but the most common ones are:
- Symptoms of Food Poisoning
Feeling generally unwell – such as feeling tired or having Aching, Chills & Fever.
- Stomach Cramps
- Higher Risk for Food Poisoning
- Young Children: Their immune systems aren’t fully developed yet.
- People with long-term (Chronic) Disease: People with diseases such as diabetes or cancer have weaker immune systems.
- Pregnant Women: A woman’s immune system changes during pregnancy. The unborn baby is also at risk
- Older Adults: Their immune systems don’t work as well. Age-related changes in our sense of taste and smell also make it easier to eat contaminated food by mistake.