Celiac disease is the disease of mucosa of small intestine.
It is characterized by small bowel dysfunction after ingestion of gluten in wheat.
Symptoms of Celiac disease are
- Stunted growth
- Amenorrhea, infertility and impotence
- Serological testing
- IgA anti tissue transglutaminase
- IgA antiendomysial antibodies
- Antigliadin antibodies
- UGI endoscopy and small intestinal biopsy which reveals villous atrophy
Treatment of celiac disease
- Withdrawal of wheat/oat/barley/rye containing food items from the diet
- Dietary supplements
- Steroids may be helpful in severely ill patients with crisis